Friday, July 31, 2026

Your character should be discovered, not advertised.

I’ve been writing really sad and depressing shi for a few months now (specifically March onwards), and I’m tired of doing that. Now I’m going back to writing essays again, ive a few topics in my head. So, I want to talk about people.

 Look, my surface area of knowledge and experience is not huge, and I’ve met limited people, but still I’ve had people around me from different states. But we were not mature enough to shar, exchange thoughts process of each other. different cultures, different geographical locations, and different upbringings do impact our personality, our opinions on things, and situations.

I’ve had a few people around me who always self-victimize themselves, like to the point where you would start feeling annoyed. And there are also people who always blame their surroundings for their failures.
I’m not saying that they can’t be true, but not always. People these days have started putting labels on themselves. Like, “I’m way too possessive,” “I’m sensitive,” “I’m loyal,” “I’m intuitive,” etc.
I don’t like sharing what’s mine. Okay brotha, you’re talking about a person btw, not an object or a food item.
And classic, I overthink a lot. Okay, who doesn’t?

I was once in a bad mood, so I talked very harshly with with a friend(my mood was ruined because of her only). She called me a day after and we had a chat. She said:

“Maine thoda overthink kiya is baat pe" as if it is some sort of task.
 Logon ko saamne wale ko apne baare mein batane ki itni jaldi kyun rehti hai.
I'll never understand this. I mean take ya time peeps, why such hurry?
I’ve seen some reels (but I don’t know if people actually talk like that in real life), where a girl says, “I’m someone who loves deeply, I’m loyal, so I want the same for me.”
Okay, but how am I supposed to know that you’re someone who loves deeply? And how am I supposed to react to these statements?

I feel really awkward when someone says these types of things for themselves, like “I’m loving,” “I’m loyal,” “I’m so sensitive,” “I’m this,” “I’m that.”

I mean, this is the type of stuff that people should know about you after knowing you, after spending time with you, after having some sort of experience with you. Like, actions se pata chalna chahiye, not self-advertisement.

And honestly, I don’t care enough about you to shape my opinion from your self-declared qualities.

Lastly, if someone keeps talking to me in Instagram-lingo deep-conversation mode, where they keep verbalizing their own qualities instead of letting saamne wala insaan discover them, I simply don’t relate to them.
Maybe that’s my judgment. Maybe that’s my curiosity.
But I’d rather discover a person than be handed a ready-made description of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your character should be discovered, not advertised.

I’ve been writing really sad and depressing shi for a few months now (specifically March onwards), and I’m tired of doing that. Now I’m goin...