Saturday, July 4, 2026

Day 4-5 of hr-analytics-project

Last night I finally finished designing dashboard of this hr analytics project. It had four pages. At that time I genuinely thought it looked pretty decent. It had charts, KPIs, slicers- everything I had learned over the last couple of days. I was happy with it. Then I searched "IBM HR Analytics Dashboard" on Google. I saw them and got humbled😊. Mine looked like a college assignment. Those dashboards looked like something you'd actually hand to a manager. Clean. Minimal. Everything important was visible immediately, in a single page. No unnecessary clicking. No jumping between pages. That was probably the biggest lesson of these two days.I had been thinking about building more charts. The people who designed those dashboards were thinking about making information easier to understand. So I scrapped my four-page dashboard. Not because it was wrong (well it kinda was ig), but because I knew I could do better. The rest of today was spent redesigning almost everything. Instead of separating insights into multiple pages, I rebuilt the dashboard around a single question:

Why are employees leaving?

Every chart had to earn its place. If a visual wasn't helping answer that question, it didn't belong. The final dashboard now shows the overall picture first- attrition rate, employees who left, average age, average income- and then breaks attrition down by age group, business travel, environment satisfaction, work-life balance, income and tenure.

One thing I realized today is that dashboard building has very little to do with Power BI itself. Power BI is just the tool. The difficult part is deciding what deserves to be shown and how to tell a story with dataAnyone can create twenty charts. Not everyone can remove fifteen of them.

And because apparently one challenge wasn't enough...

Git also decided to teach me a lesson today. I somehow managed to create another branch, spent hours wondering where my commits had gone, convinced myself I'd ruined the repository I'd been building for six days, and then slowly untangled the whole mess. Everything's sorted now.

 Looking back, these two days weren't really about Power BI. They were about iteration. Build something. Compare it with work that's better than yours. Accept that yours isn't there yet. Figure out whyThen rebuild it.That cycle probably taught me more than any tutorial could.

On to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 4-5 of hr-analytics-project

Last night I finally finished designing dashboard of this hr analytics project.  It had four pages. At that time I genuinely thought it look...